Saturday, March 5, 2011

Peter's song

I'm home. I had a good time. How can you not have a good time with 1,300 Activities Directors from all over the state of California and beyond? You know, the people that work with youth in our high schools and middle schools running leadership, rallies, spirit days, dances, and more. They are the most inclusive and fun-loving people on the planet. Last night at the dinner/dance I was seated with people from our area. I was sitting next to one of the speakers, and he thought my answer for "are you looking forward to tonight?" was a little weak, so some of us brainstormed little challenges for our table to do during the evening to make it more interesting. One woman wanted to make a human pyramid. This was nixed by speaker and me. But later, I thought, why not? We could make the smallest pyramid possible and it would only take three. There was a open spot behind our table, so I said, "Let's go!" You don't have to ask an activity director twice to do something fun, so off we went. I think it was the highlight of my night.



Another highlight of being in San Diego was meeting up with someone who made a difference in my life as a youth worker 35 years ago. It was so great to see her. Last night we went to Ocean Beach and walked around. I had to get some salt water taffy. Yum.












On the flight home this morning I pulled out my I-pod. Recently I upgraded some things on my computer, and some of Peter's songs transferred to my I-pod. If you remember, he had assembled a playlist entitled "Sad Songs" for his Zune. He would listen and cry - when my friends were over he would have them listen and cry.... argh! But one of the songs, evidently (because I don't listen to country) made it on my I-pod, and I listened to it on the flight, three times. It is entitled "If Heaven" by Andy Griggs. The song is beautiful, and it was so rich, thinking of Peter and him listening to it. Now it is for me. The chorus is:


Don't cry a tear for me now, Baby




There comes a time we must all say good-bye




And if that's what heaven's made of




You know I ain't afraid to die.




I'll try to attach the link to the YouTube Video, but I just like hearing the music....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpIdRkfVtA8


Peter - you are something else!










2 comments:

  1. Dear Kara - it was so fun to see you again in San Diego after so many years! Great memories of Excelsior UMY's, Women's Adventures, and more! I'll never forget the first time we saw you - this strikingly beautiful young lady sitting tall on a majestic horse on the EUMC grounds. We quickly discovered that you were so much more than a lovely image. You were a very put-together "highschooler" and wise beyond your years. You were an inspiration to me as well. No wonder Peter gave his heart to you - lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kara-
    been traveling a lot this past month and although I have tried to stay caught up on your blog I definitely have missed a few. Sounds like a great adventure in San Diego - and how fun making an old connection to EUMC. Makes we wonder if you are still giving any thought to a Real Women's trip this summer???
    Winter is hanging in here in MN an we have fresh snow on the ground again this morning - my snow shoes are calling me out to the lake. I'm not tired of that activity yet! love you and miss you

    ReplyDelete