Thursday, January 27, 2011

Half Full


Another busy, busy week, but that's OK. There's a rhythm at home. Monday night, rest; Tuesday night, orchestra and take out the garbage; Wednesday night, grief counselor (sometimes); Thursday night, rest; Friday night, usually take-out dinner and movie night with a friend at home. During the week at work, it's all over the place.
This morning one of the teachers engaged me in conversation as I was putting away my lunch in the refrigerator in the staff room. She's new to this staff, and I don't think she knows my recent history. I don't know what she said, or what I said, but at the end she noted, "You're a person who sees the glass half full, aren't you?" I said, "I always have been." Hmm.
Last night I went to see the grief therapist. We talked about a lot of things, but at one point we talked about blessings. I said that I had a lot of blessings, and I wanted to remember that. In that conversation, I also talked of Peter's death. I talked of the loving things he said even the week before he died. I talked about that last day, and the time of his death. Perhaps his soul left before his body quit - I don't know. After looking back at the journal, I noted that I had said that for the first time that Saturday evening, everyone had left the room for a moment. I think that's when he "left". That's when the nurse found that his eyes were unresponsive, and called us all quickly back in. Peter was "the boss" at that moment. I said how precious that time of death was. I've experienced it before with other people, and it has always been an honor and a privilege.
Today is eleven months. Onward into the last of the twelve.
Oh, just something that I would appreciate, probably, but I'll share it anyway. Yesterday in the mail I received (or Peter received - his name on it) junk mail, I'll call it, from Trout Unlimited. "Decal enclosed" it said. An oblong white decal came out, with "TU" on it. I smiled. One of the nicknames Peter had for me, and I really had forgotten about, was "TWO". It stood for two N's. (Nutty Noren). "Two!" he'd call out to me. Or, he'd say, "Two N's, no waiting," but often it was just simply, "Two!" So, I smiled, and the decal is sitting on the table.
I think of Peter often, and it's with a smile. Blessings, yes, I have many blessings.
The glass is FULL!

No comments:

Post a Comment