Monday, January 31, 2011

February Eve


Orion. I love Orion. In the cold Minnesota winters he is right there, but he is here, too, in California. Between the storm clouds I saw him the other night. I always think of Peter when I see Orion. My prince.
This weekend was difficult. It was not for not trying. A friend who saw my "no plans" of last weekend invited me on a hike. We hiked for four hours in Eucalyptus groves, alongside bubbling creeks and alongside a lake. We enjoyed cheese and fruit overlooking a stream. It was lovely. I went to church on Saturday night and the speaker was one of my favorites, and he always speaks with great humor but also great honesty, and he has just endured great loss with the death of his two parents in the last year as well as other family members. He talked of moving on in the face of loss. Sunday, I was lackluster, to say the least. I didn't want to do anything. I made myself take the pups in the woods for a forty minute walk. It started to rain, and it didn't matter. Kirsten came in the evening so she could make a post-op appointment in the morning. That perked me up. We watched some British TV together last night until I was so tired I had to climb up the stairs into bed.
I was thinking I would be better at work. The structure and meaningful connections with parents and students create a positive "flow" within me. I still was grieving inside, though. I don't talk much about Peter at work. Today, though, it was different. He was on the top of my mind. I had a conversation with a colleague, and in reaction to something I said, she said, "I'm sorry, but I would rather be hit by a bus" (rather than endure a long and painful illness). I answered, "I would have rather died with Peter." Maybe I shouldn't have said that aloud, for that stuck with me. I stayed late at work, and was sad to go home and know that no one was there, Kirsten having left on the bus mid-day. As I ate leftover Chinese food, I was perusing a book about living your dreams. I started crying, thinking that I couldn't imagine a dreamed life without Peter. Crying harder and harder, (and thinking I hadn't cried for a while), I went to the cabinet above the washer to look for a soft cloth to cry into. I reached way in the back and pulled out a soft piece of fabric. A t-shirt of Peter's. I cried all the more, wishing that the shirt I was crying into was still on his living, breathing chest. Earlier in the cry I felt Peter was saying, "I'm OK, and I love you." Thanks, thanks, but I want you here. It's me I'm crying for. I called Roberta, and she let me cry. I do miss my family.
Yes, there will be days like this. Tomorrow is February. Used to be one of my favorite months. I'm not sure anymore. I need strength, again.
Kara

3 comments:

  1. and may God give you that strength

    ReplyDelete
  2. just read a post from my oldest son Jay's fatherinlaw on a site similar to caring bridge -Jay's motherinlaw has cancer spots on her liver - it started with melanoma that went in remission - so sad and stressful - Jay and his wife are so close to her - probably will not be able to attend my younger son's wedding which is in Feb in AZ - cancer just has no manners - my heart breaks for them and you too

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you as Bill and I are on vacation in florida....February was your month and now it holds many sad memories....I did text my daughter this morning to say happy birthday month and I send you the same wishes. Smile when you can and cry when you can and the beauty of your love for Peter will give you strength.
    you are loved and will always be loved....love you

    ReplyDelete